CDP Tutorials, Guides and Examples
These links take you directly to the main HTML or PDF document for each
tutorial or guide. Tutorials without links can be downloaded.
The CDP System
Introduction to the CDP Programs
- Introducing the CDP Sound Transformation Programs by Archer Endrich (in pdf format)
- A general introduction to sound transformation with CDP, including key concepts, working environment, recommended tutorials and weblinks.
- CDP Guide by Robert Fraser
- A classified guide to CDP Functions, listed in familiar categories (Edit & Mix,Soundfile Processes, Spectral, etc.) with a brief description of each program. The guide is included with the offline documentation, or you can download it, including a printable PDF version, from the Downloads page.)
- CDP-LITE by Archer Endrich (2004)
- A selection of 45 CDP Functions, grouped by musical task.
Example uses are given for each process, with links to the Reference Manual.
- A Keyhole View of the CDP
System by Archer Endrich (2005)
- Describes 50 key CDP processes (up to Release 5), focussing on utilities and editing, plus some more far-reaching transformations.
Technical / Set-up
- Running the CDP System
by Archer Endrich (revised and updated R.Fraser)
- The CDP system environment: setting up, basic concepts and using command lines.
- The Windows Command Prompt by Archer Endrich (updated R.Fraser)
- Guide to the Windows command line interpreter (formerly called 'On Using MS-DOS')
- Using Terminal by Richard Dobson
- Configuring MacOS for command-line programs (pdf version)
- The Sound Loom Basic Guide (in pdf format) by Archer Endrich
- Introduction to the basic operation of the Soundloom GUI, with worked examples in the Time and Spectral Domains
- The Sound Loom & CDP (in pdf format) by Trevor Wishart
- A survey of the Sound Loom GUI, set in the context of practical compositional objectives.
- The Operation of the Phase Vocoder by Richard Dobson
- A non-mathematical introduction to the Fast Fourier Transform
- Guide to EMACS by Archer Endrich
- Key Functions of the microEMACS Text Editor
- Get Started with CDP in
12 Steps by Archer Endrich
- A beginner's introduction to CDP processes, using the Soundshaper and SoundLoom GUIs.
Contains background on creating a working environment, discussions of specific processes and sound
CDP Sound Design Illustrations - PC (in pdf format) and
CDP Sound Design Illustrations - MAC (in pdf format)
- introduce these demo materials:
- Dice Demo
- Step-by-step illustration of how six fairly complex sounds have been created.
- CDP Tour Examples
- A brief tour of 9 categories of CDP processes, with explanations of how the results are achieved.
- Sound-Builder Templates
- Six examples of chained processing as run via batch files (Windows) or shell scripts (Mac OS).
The scripts are provided, and you can hear the results of each step of the process before going on to your own experiments.
- CDP website page on Workshops 1-3 and the Learning Manual
- Introduction to the three Workshops and A Learning Manual with links for downloading
- About Tutorial Workshop 1 (pdf format)
- Workshop 1 is designed for new CDP users and shows how to use over 170 functions
- About Tutorial Workshop 2 (pdf format)
- Workshop 2: Composing with the CDP Texture Programs 21 examples explored in detail.
- About Tutorial Workshop 3 (pdf format)
- Workshop 3: Transposition, Shifting & Combinations. A detailed look at at CDP's functions in these areas, with technical explanations and worked examples.
Workshops 2 and 3 are designed for use with Batch files (PC) or Shell Scripts (MacOS), but could also be run from a User Interface.
- A Learning Manual for CDP, by Archer Endrich
- A comprehensive set of 33 documents for exploring CDP as a whole system.
Explanantions of processes and many worked examples, suitable for both Soundshaper and SoundLoom, plus hints and tips and documents for further study covering wider aspects of sound design.
'Groucho' Time-Domain Processing
- A Drunk Tutorial
tutorial on EXTEND DRUNK by Archer Endrich, with 7 worked examples
- Texture Pack, by Archer Endrich an excellent introductory set of scripts for PC/MAC illustrating the different TEXTURE programs.
These files are referred to in the Reference documentation for TEXTURE and can be accessed offline in the folder \htmltuts\txpack.
Alternatively, you can download a zip file of the folder contents here here.
- Also for TEXTURE, see the Texture Workshop Composing with the CDP Texture Programs by Archer Endrich.
Three tutorials for Richard Dobson's granular manipulation program,
Grainmill (a graphic version of MODIFY BRASSAGE),
providing a variety of examples of granulation.
- A GrainMill
Tutorial by Philippos Theocharidis
- Comprehensive introduction and tutorial for this powerful graphic program (PC systems only)
- GrainMill Examples
by Richard Dobson
- Sixteen examples which illustrate very precise aural effects
- Big One
GrainMill example by Archer Endrich
- A vocal sound is expanded by timing breakpoint files to the syllables of the text.
Special Help for SoundLoom
Return to Main Index